Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Life in the FAST Lane

It's unbelievable to me the things that I can do now that I couldn't do even 2 months ago. I feel like I've drifted into a whole new body (which in a sense I have) and that life has filtered in and lodged itself against my soul. 

I CAN BREATHE!

On my first full day at home we ventured out to the grocery store. We are very cool, I know. We met up with Craig and Hilda, who were scared to hug me because they didn't want to give me germs, but I crushed them with my huge muscles anyway.

This should give you an idea of how that outing went:


Back to physio last Thursday. Second day in I already noticed a difference. My legs were feeling less like spaghetti and more like...legs! I was able to go up to 1.2 on the tread (yup, pure Olympian). Soon I will be going full tilt at 1006 km/hr. 

A bunch of us crusty/chunky lunger's and support peeps had lunch after, which was awesome as we all know about my new found crush on all things edible.

The plan was for June and I to go to the Hamiltons for dinner and games, however one of those bring-you-to-your-knees-and-make-you-cry-like-a-newborn-migraines came along.

Ummmm, those things suck.

So they drove us home instead and I stumbled into my bed, after downing a beautiful pain pill and pleaded with all things holy to knock me out. A couple of hours later (and another beautiful pain pill) I felt more human and was able to move from the bed to the couch.

Good news! Games night was moved to the next night. June's sister came to visit during the day, during which we walked to the St. Lawrence Market (did you read that????? I walked!!!!!). Games night was fun, I decided to let Danica (Pamela and Carman's daughter) win because I wasn't quite ready yet to reveal how awesome my new air sacs had made me.

Saturday June and I went for another walk. For the first time in years elderly people weren't passing me on the sidewalk!  

Sayonora Granny shuffle.

Saturday night was another TransplantLand get together. I was pumped as this would be the night I would put the new blowers to the games night challenge.
Pamela drooling over my rock hard muscles

Pamela and I were on a team and well, yup, we won. It's hard being so cool with cool chunkers to boot. I spent the majority of my time stuffing my face. I believe I threw back 3 chocolate cupcakes, 1500 doritos, 20,096 chips, coke, and 13 pounds of veggies.




There are a few feats that I am incredibly proud of at this point.

  • I did laundry and made my bed (first time in aprox 9 mths)
  • I can sing without getting out of breath and everyone loves to listen to it, riiiiiight?
  • I can laugh without coughing (except I have a weird post-transplant laugh as I can't yet get a real big deep breath, so I'm hoping that soon resolves itself, as I don't want a sitcom episode written about it)
  • I went to the park and NOT in a wheelchair
  • I can do dishes like a champ

Life is unbelievable. Freaking unbelievable.

Before clicking off, I ask you to do me a favor. Please click this link and sign an online petition to implement newborn screening for Cystic Fibrosis in Nova Scotia.

I know I ask for a lot of favors...but this is for the babies. Every baby deserves a healthy start at life. The quicker CF is diagnosed the better control it will be in and the longer and healthier their lives will be.

Singing off with new chunkers...

No comments:

Post a Comment